Friday, February 15, 2013

Journey to Cali

We left for California on Friday, August 24th to drive to our new home. Our house was packed up so we had to stay in a hotel for 2 nights before we left Utah. The last night with my family was spent Thursday night at the hotel in the pool area. The goodbye's were rough and my mom didn't want to leave the hotel so she stayed with Vanessa after everyone left. She stayed late and then we had to say goodbye. We all tried to stay strong but it was tough.

We took Logan's girlfriend home and I won't give details to embarrass my son but the goodbye scene between with his girlfriend made me Josh and Bay cry our eyes out. We left Friday morning and drove straight to Vegas. We spent 2 nights in Vegas, don't know why, we were stressed and didn't enjoy our time as well as we would have if we were on vacation. Plus Logan was NOT in the mood to do anything. He was butt hurt and who can blame him, I just ripped him from the only home he had ever known for 16 years and then expected him to go to high school and play baseball with all new kids.

Sunday morning we left for Alhambra, California and stayed the night in one of the scariest hotels I have ever scene. I had to be to work for my first day on the following Monday, Aug 27th and I could barely shower and get ready or for that matter sleep in the yucky beds. It was awful. When we booked it, it looked so nice, I should have known.

Josh, Logan and Bailey had to unpack the entire house without my help because I was starting my new stressful job that required my full attention and working overtime to get settled. Josh was amazing. He had the house unpacked in 2 or 3 days and Logan put his entire bedroom furniture together by himself. Logan's furniture was from IKEA so you can only imagine his heart ache. He had backaches for weeks after that.

Bay started school and made friends right away. She was the first blonde person the kids in her school had ever seen so she received a lot of attention and made lots of friends. The area we chose (because we only had a few days to find a place to live) is known as little Asia, not China Town but little Asia. The population is 75% Asian and probably 20% Hispanic and 5% White. I don't usually care about those types of statistics but when you are new to an area and you need to blend in or make friends, this makes it very difficult.

This caused a lot of problems for Logan. From the time we moved to California to the time I moved him back to Utah, he didn't spend one minute with a friend on weeknights or weekends. He spent most of the time in his room doing homework or on his phone with his Utah friends and girlfriend. He sat alone at lunch and refused to join the kids on the baseball team in partaking drugs and alcohol. He started at Alhambra High for a few weeks and was so miserable. The school has over 3500 students and is very Asian and he hated every minute. I moved him over to South Pasadena High which is an amazing school. Academically one of the best. The baseball team was another story so he made the Varsity team of course. The coach was so sad to see Logan go.

No comments: